Things to do
follow the links below for further information or see our Local Information sheet (PDF) for postcodes and telephone numbers.
* = accessible by bus from Gate Farm
- Balsall Common (1.5m): The Old Saracen’s Head,
Oakes Farm Shop and Cafe*
- Balsall Common (2m): Bengal Brasserie*, Tamarinds*, Haigs Hotel and McKee’s Brasserie*, The White Horse*, Balsall Fish Bar*,
- Balsall Common (3m): The Brickmakers Arms, The Railway Inn, George in the Tree
- Meer End (2m) Tipperary Inn
- Heronfield (2.5m) The Kings Arms
- Chadwick End (3m, 2m walk): The Orange Tree
- Knowle (3m): The Black Boy, The Red Lion*, Wilsons Arms*, The Vaults*
and see also Restaurants in Knowle (TripAdvisor)
- Barston (3.5m, 2m walk): The Bull’s Head
- Haseley Knob (4m): The Case is Altered tap room cask ales
- Berkswell (5m): The Bear Inn
- Kenilworth (6m): see Restaurants in Kenilworth (TripAdvisor)
Local Food Shopping - * = accessible by bus from Gate Farm
- Balsall Common (1.5m): Oakes Farm Shop and Cafe*
- Balsall Common (2m): Co-op*, Tesco Metro*, Sainsburys Local (3m)
- Knowle (3m): Tesco Metro*
- Dorridge (4m): Sainsbury’s
- Kenilworth (6m): Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Crustum Artisan Bakery
- Solihull (6m): Morrisons*, Waitrose*, Sainsbury’s*
- Footpaths and Dog Walks from Gate Farm CL Map (PDF)
- Heart of England Way long distance path runs adjacent to the site. A pleasant stroll to The Orange Tree (2m) in one direction and The Saracens Head (1.5m) in the other.
- A good selection of local walks are available here - Balsall Common South circular walk (PDF) passes gate farm and Temple Balsall and Barston walk (PDF) starts just ¾ mile away across the fields.
- Grand Union Canal Walk is accessible at Knowle Locks (2.5m), south towards Warwick or north towards Birmingham.
- Cycle Solihull local route maps. Routes S2 (Knowle, Barston and Temple Balsall) and M8 (Balsall Common, Beausale and Wroxall) pass Gate Farm (pdf). Route M2 (Knowle to Lowsonford & Packwood, includes NT properties Packwood House and Baddesley Clinton).
- Local Cycle Routes (S2 + M2) on two pages, showing where they connect.